- Population: about 390 million, but that’s only half the amount that live in Europe.
- Land Area: 17,815,420 square kilometres (6,878,570 square miles) or 12% of the world’s land area.
- Countries: 12
- Highest Peak: Cerro Aconcagua is located in Argentina and rises to 6959 metres (22,832 feet) above sea level.
- Largest Lake: Lake Titicaca, on the border of Peru and Bolivia.
- Longest River: The Amazon is 6,516 kilometres (3,825 miles) long, it’s the second longest river in the world.
- Smallest Country (by land area and population): Suriname, which could fit into Brazil 50 times over!
- Biggest Country (by land area and population) : Brazil
- Languages: Hola! Portuguese and Spanish are the most common languages but in Brazil 180 languages are spoken.
To learn more about South America visit the websites below…